Monday 21 March 2011

Who says you can't raise your children bilingually?

I read an article on the Multilingual Living website today which I found both interesting and inspiring.

The article is entitled "Who says you can't raise your children bilingually?". Here's a link to the article.

The article comments on four misconceptions that often put a parent off from taking the bilingual plunge, namely:-

(1) the all or nothing belief i.e. the fear that if you don't speak the target language 100% of the time your child cannot possibly become bilingual (false - just decide what you are comfortable with and go with it);

(2) the fluency belief i.e. the fear that your own fluency isn't quite up to the job (false - make a commitment to improve on the job and you will be fine);

(3) the fear that people are going to laugh at you (they might but so what); and

(4) the fear that you won't be able to do it forever (take it a day at a time).

The article also comments on the fact that the phrase "I am raising my children to be bilingual" may well overwhelm a parent and lead them not to continue. A sensible suggestion is made that, if the term "raising" frightens you, then you ought to simply use a different term that you can be more comfortable with.

If anyone out there is feeling these fears and has not yet read the article, I encourage you to do so.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your summary--I can't remember if I've read it, but reading the re-cap is super helpful.
    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete