Wednesday 15 August 2012

Getting Crafty - Homemade Counting and Colour Recognition Game

I am definitely not known for my creative talent.... In fact, far from it. However, there's something in me that just wants to get busy with my art and craft supplies to create fun activities to do with Poppette and Little Man.

The beauty of it is that these kinds of activities present myriad language learning opportunities as well as keeping play fresh and fun.

Today I made this 'sticky fish bowl' and ten little coloured fish so that Poppette and I can practice counting and colour recognition. The water in the bowl is sticky (I attached contact paper sticky side up) and the fish are covered in contact paper so that Poppette can stick them on and pull them off to her hearts content.

I can't wait to get playing tomorrow.... In fact, I almost want to go and wake Poppette up now (it's quarter to midnight!!!) so that we can get started right away.....:-D

6 comments:

  1. That is so gorgeous and seemingly so simple! What a great game for learning & fun together. I think even my 2 big kids would love this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tallulah. It was really simple to make and I had fun doing it ... And Poppette seemed impressed :-) she kept going back to it over the course of the day to play again and again. Am trying to think of something to put on the back to double the fun... Perhaps a clothes line with different items of clothing to hang... Not quite sure yet...

      Delete
  2. Ooh, there must be something crafty in the air! I'm itching to get crafting with my little one, too :) This looks like something Aleksander would love, as he (like so many 2-year-olds I know) is OBSESSED with stickers - especially if you can actually take them off and stick them back on! I'll have to go out and get some contact paper.... For someone who claims to be lacking in crafty talent, you did a fantastic job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate :D Let me know how you get on.

      Delete
  3. Great idea! I was just thinking of something similar earlier today. Making felt pictures so we can compose our own scenes over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felt's a great idea... it takes me right back to my childhood when I use to play with 'Fuzzy Felts'...

      Delete